RE: Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

  • From: Paul G. Donner
  • Date: Mon Apr 02 19:52:29 2001

it also works the other way around. letting clueless networks manage multihoming with BGP
can be a bad thing for the internet in general, especially if the upstreams do not enforce some
*discipline* on their customers in these cases. this can be as detrimental to the customer as
having lousy upstream service.

At 03:37 PM 4/2/2001 -0700, Bill Woodcock wrote:

> So, please explain to me how not being multi-homed is anything other than a
> bad-thing and high-risk? No, I am not including colo, because it is assumed
> that you know what their arrangements are before you "buy". Reputable colos
> are multi-homed, in spades.

You say "responsible cab drivers must have not one, but two taxicabs, in
order to provide service in the event of a failure. Therefore, I bought
one from Fisher-Price, and one from Hot Wheels, and I'm astounded to find
that neither provides me with the luxury which I expected." I think
Patrik may have been suggesting that if you had a Checker, you might not
need to worry quite so much about redundancy.

-Bill