Using other provider's ASN (was Re: Sprint and peering points)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Apr 01 06:11:15 2001

On Sat, 31 March 2001, Jeff Loughridge wrote:
> Sprint does not prepend its AS at public or private peering points.  What
> other providers do with the AS Path at their ingress is not under our
> control.

Providers trying to "steer" traffic through their peers, upstreams, or
exchange points is nothing new.  However, this caught my attention.  If
Sprint isn't pre-pending its routes with Sprint's ASN, who is?  It is
generally considered ill-mannered to use someone else's ASN without their
permission.  Traditionally, pre-pending is done with the pre-pender's own
ASN.

If nothing else, to help track down the party when evil things happen.