Sprint and peering points

  • From: Roy
  • Date: Sat Mar 31 11:25:46 2001

Since I am located in what PacBell thinks is a rural area, I have to contend
with using multiple T1s.  This forces me to play with the AS paths in order
to load balance between my upstreams (Sprint and others)

I have found that Sprint is prepending their AS when sending routes to many
of the public exchanges (example "1239 1239 20001") in order to "shift load"
to private peer connections.

The result is that now my other upstreams that send out the normal "701
20001" get the brunt of the traffic from the public exchange points.

Needless to say I am a bit pissed at Sprint for doing this and not telling
me.  I had been a fan of Sprint until this happened.  Anyone else out there
seeing the same problems?  Any ideas on how to cure it

Roy Engehausen