Re: Content Injection Appliance

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Thu Mar 29 04:51:29 2001

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001, Irwin Lazar wrote:

[snip]

> It also could kill the web banner advertising industry as these devices
> allow ISPs to replace banner ads on a web site with ads inserted by the ISP.
> Even worse, web surfers might be forced to watch a 30 second commercial for
> every ten minutes that they surf.

We Australians and various Asian countries have been doing that with
squid for a loooong time. Well, we did, until people realised that
the banner-ad companies could sue the ISPs for loss of revenue or
something I don't quite get.

Back then (what, 1996, 1997?) the banner-ad traffic was a rather large
chunk of overall web traffic.

On the original note, people have been asking me (as a squid person)
how they could implement schemes like this so their users would be
forced to see web advertisements every so often in any webpage.
I refuse to reply to them, as saying "thats bad, mmkay?" generally
goes over their heads (they asked in the first place, right? :)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd		"The fact you can download a 100 megabyte file
<[email protected]>  from half way around the world should be viewed