Re: Content Injection Appliance

  • From: Josh Richards
  • Date: Wed Mar 28 16:07:59 2001

* shane <[email protected]> [20010328 12:38]:

> I need someones help, I saw a product at ISPCON Fall in
> CA. And the product allowed me to have it operate on my core routers
> and watch web traffic and allow me to "Inject" a "pop-up add" or a
> service anouncement.

On your core routers?  That'd seem like a bad idea...perhaps at the edge
(like your customer concentrators) but I digress..

> What I want to do is set up this box to watch web traffic, and when a new
> user logs in it checks to see "for example" if he has new mail on our
> mail-server, and pop-up a little window on his/her screen alerting them
> about this. But I don't want to make the user be required to use our home
> page as the start page.

From what you're asking for I'm not sure why you'd need to watch their
Web traffic.  Just watch their log-in, likely less hassle and requires no
funniness on backbone routers.

> Can anyone tell me the name of this product, I am already aware of
> FrontPorch and their product would work, but they require me to allow them
> to to advertising to my customers, I don't want that.

Try [email protected]  Honestly, that list has a lot of access providers
and likely several are doing what you describe who can offer you some
assistance.  I've seen it done and it's a fairly straightforward concept
(just requires a small client app on the end-user host) but I've never had
to do it myself.