Re: SWM ISO empirical operational data...

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Mar 27 15:18:17 2001

On Tue, 27 March 2001, "Barrows, Jeff" wrote:
>   There just isn't useful public data out there that is
>   extensive enough, relevant, or complete.  There are
>   lists of "top 50 web sites in the UK", "top 10 most
>   popular sites", and "15 top financial sites", and
>   such, but I couldn't find anything useful that was
>   based on true traffic analysis, or wasn't skewed by
>   incomplete views.

Of course, many commercial providers consider this highly
confidential data and don't share it, assuming they reliably
collect it at all.  The last commercial provider I saw with
any public traffic analysis was ANS.

The academic folks have bits and pieces from various
networks, but as I suspect you know, it comes and goes.

>   Netflow data from various sources is proving to be the
>   most useful, but I need more views.  If anyone has any
>   [Netflow or Netflow-like] top-speaker information that
>   they would be willing to share, I'd very much appreciate
>   it-- please drop me a note offline.

A number of the intrusdion detection/anti-DDOS vendors
may have probes located where they can collect some of this
information.  And depending on the permision of the customers'
the exchange point operators could assist.