RE: dsl providers that will route /24

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Mon Mar 26 12:21:39 2001

[ On Monday, March 26, 2001 at 08:53:08 (-0800), Bill Woodcock wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: dsl providers that will route /24
>
>     > 	Three times as much is absolute worst case. In reality, it's more like
>     > twice as much for just his incoming traffic.
>
> Uh, how do you figure?  Each inbound packet comes into the tunnel-host
> site, out of the tunnel-host site, and into the DSL host site.  Each
> outbound packet takes the reverse path.  Three times as much bandwidth.

Well, yes, but only if the tunnel host has only one network connection.

If the tunnel host is also connected to the same DSL network then things
are just peachy for both parties and the DSL provider sees almost none
(just that which is NAT'ed) of the DSL user's bandwidth on their
upstream(s) (though the DSL user's bandwidth in either direction will be
limited to the lower of either the tunnel host's primary upstream link,
or the uplink bandwidth of the tunnel host's DSL connection).

This can still be a great benefit to a small network, especialy if the
DSL provider has a nice big HTTP cache and maybe an NNTP server too,
etc.

I ran my home network with basically this setup for over a year on a
cable modem and other than the fact that the cable provider has an
extrememly broken internal network (7% *minimum* loss!), I had great
success.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>