RE: Multiple Roots are "a good thing" - Karl Auerbach

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Mon Mar 19 21:54:07 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Mike Batchelor wrote:

> How is adding .new.net to the end of a domain name any different from
> pre-pending 10-10-220 to a phone number? if you sign up with AT&T, the
> 10-10-220 becomes transparent, just as if you install the new.net plugin.

The difference is that you use the prepending when YOU dial.  People don't
have to do anything special to dial you.  If they desire to dial
1+NPA+NXX+NNNN, they can.  They don't have do do ANYTHING special as a
result of your choosing an alternate LD carrier.

You can't really think that this is the same as mucking up the root can
you?

> I don't think these outfits have customers leaving in droves.  Long distance
> is highly competitive, despite a boggling array of different ways to place a
> call.

Again.  Different ways to PLACE a call.  People calling you don't have to
guess which LD carrier you use to call you.  Even to call you collect.

It's NOT the same and it's a bad analogy.

> Shawn McMahon
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 12:33:07AM -0800, Scott Francis wrote:
> > >
> > > yes, and multiple directory services are a great thing.
> > However, when I dial
> > > +1.310.642.0351 it reaches the same number no matter where the call
> > > originates, in what phone network, who my LD carrier is, who my
> > local telco
> > > is, or how many switches it passes through on the way.
> >
> > On my phone I get an error if I dial that.
> >
> > I have to dial something else first to tell it that I'm looking for a
> > number that's not on my local phone network, but instead on the one
> > Bellsouth participates in.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc