RE: Multiple Roots are "a good thing" - Karl Auerbach

  • From: Mike Batchelor
  • Date: Mon Mar 19 19:50:42 2001

Why Dial 10-10-321?
  10-10-321 can save you money.... and so on

Call 1-800-COLLECT and save a buck or two!

10-10-220 - it's just 7 cents after 20 minutes (Newman's ads)

There's a whole slew of others, not to mention all the different pre-paid
calling cards, each with a different procedure for placing a call.

How is adding .new.net to the end of a domain name any different from
pre-pending 10-10-220 to a phone number? if you sign up with AT&T, the
10-10-220 becomes transparent, just as if you install the new.net plugin.

I don't see any end in sight to the 10-10-xxx services, or the calling card
companies, and there's no end to the spam - on and off line - about making
easy money in an all-cash business selling phone cards.

I don't think these outfits have customers leaving in droves.  Long distance
is highly competitive, despite a boggling array of different ways to place a
call.

Shawn McMahon