Re: Multiple Roots simply need context

  • From: Rick Irving
  • Date: Mon Mar 19 16:37:21 2001

</lurk>

Chris Davis wrote:

> There is no problem in having hundreds or thousands of multiple root servers
> for DNS.

   Not!

> We have a problem with CONTEXT.  There is no existing way to ascertain the
> context from which users are resolving domain names.

  I have said this for years... OH! You mean....... * snicker *

> Solution:  DNS Context Servers...  DNS operators subscribe their machines to
> the DNS context they want.  In one context, ".xxx" can resolve via new.net,
> in another context, ".xxx" resolves via one of the other .xxx providers.  To
> keep ICANN and friends happy, ICANN could be the "default" context.

   Perhaps we should leave the door open for multiple context
servers,
and multiple DNS TLD's.. pretty soon we can complicate resolv so
completely,
we won't have to bother........

Everyone will get so irritated, they will join MSN, and run IPX.

The sooner the better, if you ask me.....
I could use the extra sleep!

:P

> Help calls then have one and only one additional question:  "To which DNS
> context do you subscribe?"

  To which the typical user will respond:
     "Huh ? What ? How should -I- know, -your- the ISP! "

  Well, * ahem *, we clarified -that- , huh ?

  Clue: The typical user is stumped by the question:

  "You know the button with a One and a Zero.... which is it set to,
One or Zero ?"

  "Yes, well Zero means NO network, and One means "join the ONE
Network",
   the Internet.... great idea, huh ? Built -right- into your
hardware....."

  Go ahead, hit the ONE button, and join up, go for it ! ! !

  You can do it!

   :\

Personally, I -actually- expect the conversation to go as follows:

Q:  "Which context are -you- subscribed to....?"

A:  "Urrr..... The middle one, of course..."
   (Flubbing a knowledgeable answer, as the -always- try to do)

Q: (To which the Smart Sysop responds) Oh ?
    ... And would that be the middle one from -my- perspective,
    or -yours- ?

   ;)

> Context servers are pretty obviously where things are headed.

   Cleaning glasses, they must have fogged up.... * squeak squeak *

  Try again......... I seem to have fogged my glasses opaque.

  :\

<Lurk>

..
.