Re: Multiple Roots are "a good thing" - Karl Auerbach

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Sun Mar 18 16:20:08 2001

In message <[email protected]>, Greg A. Woods writes:

>[ On Sunday, March 18, 2001 at 14:23:26 (-0500), Miles Fidelman wrote: ]
>> Subject: Re: Multiple Roots are "a good thing" - Karl Auerbach
>>
>> I would suggest that telephone books/directories are not an appropriate
>> analogy. Rather, DNS is a lot closer to the internal plumbing of the net -
>> more akin to Signalling System #7. I'd guess that for 95% or more of phone
>> calls, the caller already knows the numeric phone number in question -
>> while for the Internet, very few people give their email addresses as
>> [email protected] or http://207.226.172.79. Telephone directories
>> are optional in most cases, DNS is not.
>
>You are absolutely correct.  :-)
>
>Telephone directories are most definitely *not* like the DNS.  A domain
>name is more like a telephone number itself, and as you say the IP
>numbers are more like the underlying circuit routing glue in something
>like SS#7.  We really do not have a "telephone directory" for the
>Internet (unless you count WHOIS/RWHOIS).

Right.  And even for phone numbers, there's a single authority
controlling the space.  Internationally, it's the ITU; within the U.S./
Candadian zone, it's the North American Number Plan Administrator.
And its problem has been too little supervision -- see
http://www.bergen.com/biz/codes18200103181.htm