Re: Statements against new.net?

  • From: Richard A. Steenbergen
  • Date: Thu Mar 15 21:54:38 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 01:19:03PM -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> What Vadim is trying to explain to you is that this does not scale(or at
> least not with the current system.) When I type in the world "apple" do I
> want information on the fruit, the computer company, or the record
> company(or something else that contains/is related to the string "apple"?)
>
> Add to this the complexity of multilingualism, where a string of
> characters can have a reasonably deterministic meaning or set of meanings
> in one language, and a completely different set of meanings in
> another.
>
> > Search engines are horribly inaccurate for trying to reach any
> > single particular page, unless it's so bizarre that you only get a dozen
> > search results. I would definitely not advocate search engines to replace
> > the current DNS system, unless a whole new generation of search engines
> > was created that could effectively deduce exactly where the user _really_
> > wanted to go, accurately, every time (which is what DNS currently does).
>
> So tell me when I type in the word "apple" where exactly do I want to go?

Ok this is getting downright rediculous. There is a reason we HAVE search
engines, to find the links between content names and destination names. If
I want to order an apple I don't goto www.apple.com.

These levels of naming exist for a reason. If you want to find content
about apples you goto Google and search for apples, if you want to goto
Apple Computer you type www.apple.com, and if you want to goto a specific
server you type 17.254.0.91. If you cannot figure out what to type or
where to type it, this is not my problem.

If this thread stops right now I will pay everyone who participated in it
up to this point $1000 US each. Thank you.