RE: I've just tried new.net's plugin. Don't.

  • From: David Schwartz
  • Date: Thu Mar 15 16:26:09 2001

> Seriously folks, anybody who is supporting this system must be on some
> _very_strong recreational pharmaceuticals.  As are those who are claiming
> that it's a political issue and not a technical one.  As has been pointed
> out _several_ times on this list, the RFC's state ONE ROOT.  This is The
> Way God Intended DNS To Be.  This isn't a matter of whether ICANN is right
> or not in their decisions concering new TLDs.  Personally, I do not care
> who runs the root, as long as it works.  It could be our fine friends at
> goatse.cx for all I care. What I *do* care about, however, is that
> www.whatever.com resolves to the same IP address (or group of IP
> addresses) whether I am dialed into Earthlink, C&W, AOL, or whatever.  Is
> it too much to ask that we have a consistent view of the DNS namespace? I
> don't think it is, and I don't think that  New.Net's system is going to
> provide it.

	You know, all I wanted was to be able to run the same software whether I
sat down at a computer at the office or at home or at a friends' house. The
damned Linux and FreeBSD people screwed that up. I don't care what OS people
run, but what I *do* care about is that I can sit down at any computer and
run the same software.

	Did you know that you can choose which nameservers you use? And you can
continue to use the same nameservers no matter what provider you use.

	DS