RE: I've just tried new.net's plugin. Don't.

  • From: Ben Browning
  • Date: Thu Mar 15 15:36:03 2001

At 01:50 AM 3/15/2001, Simon Higgs wrote:
At 11:54 PM 3/14/01 -0800, you wrote:

At 08:33 PM 3/14/2001, Simon Higgs wrote:
So what practical steps does New.net need to take to reduce the load on the help desks? Going out of business, getting rid of the dumb plug-in, and using a proper root server network have already been suggested. What else would help minimize the load on the network help desks?
Looks like you already have three practical solutions right there.
Well, two out of three ain't a bad start.
What isn't practical about using a proper root server? ;)

I won't bother to solve someone else's problems unless I believe in their cause (I don't) or am under their employ (I'm not).
Fair comment. But it's not New.net that will take the hit at the help desk. This is like a new neighbor having loud parties disturbing the peace and quiet in your neighborhood which was helping your property value. Ignoring it and letting the neighborhood go downhill is going to cost you something eventually.
I agree with this fully, which is why, should this situation arise, my response would be "I'm sorry, this is new.net's mess. They have to clean it up. Here's their phone number."

Their technical specs are fuzzy, with no end in sight for the new TLD's they introduce (go to the homepage- oh look! you can vote for a new TLD! dear god, what a disaster that could turn into... running-shoes.nike is just a few million bucks away).
"Voting" has been done by Name Space for what, four years? Their track record isn't exactly astounding, even after plonking down $50k into the ICANN travel-junket fund. Voting is not going to set the world on fire. It's a marketing tool that makes spectacular collisions in DNS.
If they act on the voting, it certainly will. Especially given the catchall domain space they have created for themselves.

Yeah. This is the stuff that I was looking for. Thanks.
Heh. I didn't realize "Fraud and lies are a bad business model" were the kind of suggestions you were fishing or.

~Ben, you know the "my views alone" schtick by now
---
Ben Browning <[email protected]>
The River Internet Access Co.
Network Operations