Re: Statements against new.net?

  • From: Eric A. Hall
  • Date: Wed Mar 14 16:11:33 2001

> > coordinated and therefore not "multiple root zones"), there is nothing
> > to stop one root zone from adding a {TLD,SLD} which already exists in
> > another.
>
> There's a strong incentive not to do that. It diminishes the value of
> both versions of that TLD. To do so would be to shoot yourself and the
> other guy in the foot.  Darwinism in action.

Sexton says the same thing, and yet it still happens (some of the new.net
TLDs conflict with some of the other pirate-radio TLDs, and this was
hardly the first such event). This is why it's more than just a bad idea,
it has proven to happen, resulting in confusion and non-atomic lookups for
everybody on all sides. It just doesn't work, despite all of the so-called
good intentions.

I'm also annoyed by the "freedom" pitch when I know damn well that the
real issue for most of the pirate TLD operators is money. Maybe setting up
alternate TLDs in order to spite ICANN was the original objective but they
always seem to up as lawsuits (or threats of lawsuits) regarding lost
revenues and ownership rights whenever somebody else "pirates" one of the
pirate TLDs from the first pirate. The "moral" packaging is a canard in
almost all cases, with the final issue being the very points that most of
the pirates scream at ICANN over: money and arrogance.