Re: Statements against new.net?

  • From: Ben Browning
  • Date: Wed Mar 14 14:08:22 2001

At 09:17 AM 3/14/2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Scott Francis wrote:
> the very reason they pay my (all our) paycheck is for technical expertise -
> if Joe Q. User had technical expertise sufficient to make informed decisions
> on this type of matter, why would he need to hire a network operator?

Consumer demand is not driven by your technical expertise.
I dare say there is a good consumer demand for a flying car, or a cure for AIDS.

Regardless of that, Chrysler and the Mayo Clinic tell us it's a no-go, so we believe them.

My point here is this:

Although consumer demand is not driven by our technical expertise, neither are our networks dictated by consumer demand. Some requests are silly, or uninformed, or simply not feasible on an economic or technical level.

DNS as it currently exists is a fixed point in an evolutionary path.
Actually, DNS as it exists is a fixed niche in an ecological system. Some niches remain filled by the same unchanging creatures for millions of years[1](see examples: "sharks", "alligators"), while some change within a few generations.

Perhaps new TLD's are necessary- I have no problem conceding that fact. I do not think, however, that one company should have a chokehold on them. NSI finally got bumped out of the i-am-the-only-registrar-seat. Are we so quick to create another one like this?

~Ben, who speaks for himself alone here, as always

[1] Which then translates into about 20 Internet Years
---
Ben Browning <[email protected]>
The River Internet Access Co.
Network Operations