Re: Broken Internet?

  • From: Peter Francis
  • Date: Tue Mar 13 23:13:26 2001

<snip>

>I don't advise use of DSL regardless, but why is a colo better than a
>hardened facility owned by a company, with off-grid power, and multiple
>DS-3 lines?

This discussion started when someone questioned whether the "difficulty" of multi-homing was a barrier to entry for SMALL businesses. I can think of no definition of SMALL that includes the ability to build a "hardened facility" with "off-grid power" and "multiple DS-3 lines.

Come on now.  If you have that kind of capital then you might as well just go out and buy a small hosting company.  This gets you enough usage to meet the minimum requirement for a portable CIDR block plus income from the hosting.

I'm tired of people waving the "I must be multi-homed" flag around without actually looking at where the highest risk points of failure are and focusing their resources there first.

For a SMALL business with < $50,000/year to spend on infrastructure you can get yourself well up into the 99th percentile of uptime withthe colo/T1 model.  Then you can go spend the rest up your time and money building a business that actually works.  Any SMALL business that doesn't have a solid enough relationship with its customers to survive the < 1%  chanced outage has a bogus business model in the first place.

If you really want to be careful about things get two T1's, one back into your colo-site and one to another provider.  Keep your DNS ttl's low, say 10 minutes, and run a secondary nameserver and backup server for your site off the non-colo-provider's T1 address space.  Use dhcp for your office LAN and run a resolver with 2 nic cards, one talking to each T1.  You get the picture.  You are now way out beyond the 99th percentile at the cost of keeping one decent sys admin on staff.

Peter