Re: Statements against new.net?

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Tue Mar 13 13:40:58 2001

In message <[email protected]>, Patrick Greenw
ell writes:

>On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Randy Bush wrote:
>

>> > Do any ISPs or web hosting companies have publically available statements
>> > on their web sites stating that they will not support the new new.net
>> > domains and why they won't?  I am getting more requests from users to
>> > change our DNS root servers to support this and wanted to see what others
>> > tell their users.  Any IETF/ICANN statement available?
>>
>> RFC 2826 IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root
>
>It would better be termed "IAB Political Comment on the Unique DNS Root."

As someone who was on the IAB at the time that RFC was written, I
disagree -- there were *no* political discussions.  But that's an
unverifiable assertion.  Instead, could you point at anything in the
document you perceive as "political" rather than technical?  To be
precise, what is your response to this, the second paragraph of the
document?

   Put simply, deploying multiple public DNS roots would raise a very
   strong possibility that users of different ISPs who click on the same
   link on a web page could end up at different destinations, against
   the will of the web page designers.