Re: new.net

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Mar 12 10:29:57 2001

On Fri, 09 Mar 2001 13:07:15 EST, Scott Gifford said:
> I like the idea of creating a new ".tm" TLD (or something less likely
> to conflict with a CCTLD), and requiring anybody who wants trademark
> protection to register there; everything else is a free-for-all, as it
> pretty much is now.  Let them have their little trademark disputes
> over there, and let less litigious heads rule in the other TLDs.

Still broken.

Trademarks are for use within a given business segment - that's why
you can have an Apple Computer and an Apple Records - one is in the
computer business, and one is in the music business.  Apple Computer
*did* have to promise Apple Records to never engage in the music business
in order to use the trademark (this became an issue when QuickTime and
other similar technologies threatened to blur the distinction).

You'd need to have a .computer.tm, a .music.tm, a .automobile.tm and so
on for all the categories recognized by the trademark office...

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst