Re: DNS - Bind database

  • From: mike harrison
  • Date: Sat Mar 10 12:15:46 2001

> Customer Service, who cannot seem to get the concept of maintaining forward
> and reverse mapping.  I run BIND 8 on Solaris, so something that runs under
> Solaris (not MickeySoft) is preferable. Both web and local shell database
> modification is definitely a plus.  I'd rather not reinvent the wheel by
> programming this myself.

We do it with perl and Sybase on Linux, with a web interface (perl) for
customer service people. hardest part was all the sanity checks for stupid
data entry errors ie: adding/delete trailing periods, standardizing MX
values... a small perl script runs every hour with more sanity checks,
then dumps out new text files for named to read.

Side benefit: trusted competent customers (and yes, they do exist)
get certain records and fields available for themselves to
edit/change/delete.

Ours is to integrated into too may other things to be useful by itself,
but the DNS side was a solid weekend of coding: about 20hrs.
but made my life easier and harder (I liked hand editing text files).