Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

  • From: mdevney
  • Date: Sat Mar 10 05:46:07 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> ===
>
> Somewhat "off topic", the stated rationale for these new pirate domains
> is that ICANN is moving too slowly.  That's silly.
>
> The few TLDs that have been approved are not yet in operation.  If it
> takes this much time for operational experience, then throwing more
> such domains in the mix isn't any "faster".
>

> I'm not sure how adding pirate domains improves ICANN sunshine.

I think the idea is not to improve ICANN, but to give up on it
entirely.  "Well if they're not going to do it right, then we'll at least
do it."  It's a method that I myself have tried a couple times, with
varying degrees of success.

I think we're all at least a little disappointed with ICANN; new.net is
just taking that disappointment to its logical extreme and ditching ICANN
altogether.  (Or as much as is feasible, anyway.)

> ===
>
> Another stated rationale is that ICANN UDRP is "flawed".  I'm not sure
> how adding pirate domains improves the UDRP.  The pirate has publically
> stated that it will follow the UDRP.

This, I'm concerned about.  While ICANN has made a couple decisions that I
don't agree with, at least we can hope that those were mistakes, or that
ICANN has reasons I don't know about.  New.net, though, is a for-profit
company, and the dine between buying a service and bribing someone for
that same service gets very thin and wavery.

Matthew Devney