RE: new.net

  • From: Mike Batchelor
  • Date: Fri Mar 09 19:54:04 2001

> Unfortunately, this won't work. We explored this in 1995/6. The
> problem is
> that is creates a very fragmented *FLAT* name space. Flat name spaces are
> bad. Fragmented name spaces are even worse. Combine them and
> you're out of
> business. The trademark law's primary issue is whether there is confusion
> created for the consumer. Any naming scheme which introduces
> confusion for
> the consumer is doomed:
>
> STARBUCKS.A1
> STARBUCKS.A2
> STARBUCKS.A3
> etc.

It's all TBL's fault for inventing a URL format that puts the domain name
right in front of the user.  Hide the browser's location bar somehow, and
all these problems go away, no matter what strings are used at whatever
level.

I say we storm the W3C to make them pay for their sins.  Or better yet, make
them run the registries, that'll show 'em. :)

---
"The avalanche has already begun.  It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -
Kosh