Re: Namespace conflicts

  • From: Aaron L. Meehan
  • Date: Fri Mar 09 18:52:13 2001

Quoting Saint skullY the Dazed ([email protected]):
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 03:10:51PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > But if you want to beat on my original point -- as I and others have
> > noted, the townname.nj.us domains were also grabbed by speculators.  In
> > other words, that wasn't an option, either.  I haven't tracked the
> > process failure or the policy failure that gave rise to that situation,
> > but it's very real.  I live in Westfield -- try www.westfield.nj.us.
> > Then try some neighboring towns -- Kenilworth, Cranford, Fanwood,
> > Summit, and more.
>
> Nowhere in ISI's regulations have I seen that a city is entitled to
> have cityname.state.us. That's what ci.cityname.state.us is for,
> and AFAIK there is no way for you to register anything under
> ci.cityname.state.us unless you're affiliated with that city's government.
> IMO, it makes sense to do that.

Hate to point out the obvious, but if one controls the zone
westfield.nj.us, then they also have total control over delegating
name service and assignment of any zones beneath it, i.e.
ci.westfield.nj.us.  Hence, back to the original dillema :) They have
to deal with a company in Norfolk:

Registrant:
 Online Cafe
 17 Washington Street
 Norwalk, CT 06854
 US

Online Cafe??

It's nice of norwalk.com to allow axfr :)

Note summit.nj.us has a "ci" subdomain, while westfield.nj.us has
almost nothing, except "jix".

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> axfr summit.nj.us @ns1.norwalk.com
; (1 server found)
$ORIGIN summit.nj.us.
@                       6H IN SOA       ns1.norwalk.com. jw.research.troy.ny.us. (
                                        25              ; serial
                                        14h11m30s       ; refresh
                                        2H              ; retry
                                        2W              ; expiry
                                        6H )            ; minimum

                        6H IN NS        ns1.norwalk.com.
                        6H IN NS        NS5.NORWALK.COM.
                        6H IN MX        20 MAIL.TROY.NY.us.
                        6H IN MX        10 mail.norwalk.com.
                        6H IN A         167.206.48.79
ci                      1W IN NS        ns.instantlink.com.
                        1W IN NS        ns.rivint.com.
friends                 1W IN NS        ns.timhunt.net.
                        1W IN NS        ns3.swaney.com.
                        1W IN NS        ns2.swaney.com.
                        1W IN NS        sun1.swaney.com.
mail                    6H IN CNAME     @
www                     6H IN CNAME     @
kentplace               1W IN NS        pri2.dns.psi.net.
                        1W IN NS        pri3.dns.psi.net.
                        1W IN NS        pri1.dns.psi.net.
apollo                  1W IN NS        dns.apollo
                        1W IN NS        dns2.apollo

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> axfr westfield.nj.us @ns1.norwalk.com
; (1 server found)
$ORIGIN westfield.nj.us.
@                       6H IN SOA       ns1.norwalk.com. jw.research.troy.ny.us. (
                                        18              ; serial
                                        14h12m          ; refresh
                                        2H              ; retry
                                        2W              ; expiry
                                        6H )            ; minimum

                        6H IN NS        ns1.norwalk.com.
                        6H IN NS        NS5.NORWALK.COM.
                        6H IN MX        10 mail.norwalk.com.
                        6H IN MX        20 MAIL.TROY.NY.us.
                        6H IN A         167.206.48.76
jix                     1W IN NS        ns1.nac.net.
                        1W IN NS        ns2.nac.net.
mail                    6H IN CNAME     @
www                     6H IN CNAME     @
@                       6H IN SOA       ns1.norwalk.com. jw.research.troy.ny.us. (
                                        18              ; serial
                                        14h12m          ; refresh
                                        2H              ; retry
                                        2W              ; expiry
                                        6H )            ; minimum

Aaron

--
Aaron L. Meehan         [email protected]
System Administrator    Central Oregon Internet