Re: Namespace conflicts

  • From: Bryan C. Andregg
  • Date: Fri Mar 09 10:47:07 2001

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 09:10:09AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin mailed:
> In my area of NJ, virtually every town's "obvious" .com domain names were
> grabbed by one of two competing would-be service providers.  They had
> absolutely no town-specific content -- but if the town wanted a Web
> site, they had no choice but to deal with these folks.  I have no major
> problem with first-come, first-served *productive* use of a domain name,
> but frankly, that's not where the problem has been.  The problem has
> been speculators and cybersquatters.

Uh, why couldn't the town just use <name>.nj.us or whatever the city specific
code was long ago and far way.
--
  Bryan C. Andregg           Smoke Jumper           "As Slow as Possible,
    <[email protected]>      Red Hat, Inc.           As Fast as Necessary."

  gpg  1024D/19893A19	A8DA 869A 037A C6B5 BF07  AB61 E406 414B 1989 3A19