Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

  • From: Scott Gifford
  • Date: Thu Mar 08 19:23:55 2001

"David Schwartz" <[email protected]> writes:

> > Personally, I would hope that the rules would be the same as if you were
> > trying to start a new business or magazine with the name in the domain
> > name (I am making no judgement on how close UDRP is to that ideal).  By
> > that criteria, I am sure that if you tried to start a company or magazine
> > named "Walmart Sucks" you would hear from their lawyers and they would be
> > equally successful.
>
>     Surely owning a domain is more like naming a book or magazine article
> than naming a business. After all, businesses are not the only Internet
> sites.

I agree.  In fact, during the heydey of "Beverly Hills 90210", I
remember a monthly newsletter called "The I Hate Brenda Newsletter" or
some such thing, which was a parody fanzine for Shannon Doherty, the
actress who played Brenda.  It was a quite funny piece of pop-culture
parody, and I'm sure the magazine would have been shut down if
copyright law allowed Fox Networks to.

-----ScottG.