external issues in dns scalability (1995) (was Re: Namespaces)

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Thu Mar 08 10:51:49 2001

[email protected] (Vadim Antonov) writes:

> Just stop issuing alhpanumeric domain names and use numerals only.

In 1995, Brian Kahin invited a bunch of folks to come to DC and talk about
DNS ("a policy wonk's dream").  Not understanding that the whole thing was
a sham, I wrote a paper and presented it.  The audience (hi Vint!) reacted
in stunned silence, and probably had a good laugh about it later at the bar.

I found the postscript files and converted them to PDF and put them online:

http://www.vix.com/~vixie/bad-dns-paper.pdf
http://www.vix.com/~vixie/bad-dns-slides.pdf

All I can really say is: "I told y'all so."  Vadim, thanks for reminding me
that there was a time when these problems were still soluble.