Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

  • From: mdevney
  • Date: Wed Mar 07 01:50:08 2001

Just at first glance, it doesn't seem too hard to set this up... They'd
need their own root servers, then their "partner networks" would have to
change their setting for the "." domain.  Looks like (depending on number
of root servers) a day's work for new.net and 5 minutes per name server
for their "partner networks".  Not a very hard thing to do.

So their plugin, then, probably appends a new.net name server to your name
server list, or does something funky to your browser to make it query a
different name server.  Not too much dinking about with your settings,
then.

I dunno, just seems like a very easy thing to do, not worth too much
hype.  Though the fact that there's market demand and ICANN isn't stepping
in to fill it is somewhat disturbing...

Matthew Devney