Re: Loose Source Routing

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 23:48:50 2001

Hosts cannot and should not do route optimization since it requires the
knowledge of global network toplogy.  BGP to every host?  Nyet!

Now, LSRR is _expensive_.  Modern routers handle packets with options in
hardware, and doing IP options in hardware is not cheap.

(BTW, what other options are actually used? :)  IMO, prohibiting IP
options altogether would be a good idea (and don't ask me about
fragmentation).

As for debugging routing - isn't it much better to ask OFRVs to add
remotely accessible traceroute servers to their boxes? There is no
engineering or economic justification for diagnostic fucntionality like
LSRR to stay anywhere close to the fast packet path.

--vadim

Brought to you by the Society For Non-Perpetuation Of Old Kludges and
The K.I.S.S. Coalition.