RE: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

  • From: Vivien M.
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 20:56:50 2001

I apologize for bringing this whole thing on NANOG, but I do have some
objections to your comments.

Have you looked at the .org situation (with the new proposed VeriSign
agreement and everything) lately? http://forum.icann.org/nsi2001 is full of
angry .org domain owners who have been told nothing officially by ICANN
except some vague segments of press releases and proposed agreements that
many choose to interpret as indicating that their domains will be taken away
because they don't match some "arbitrary and capricious" requirements, to
use the words of the poster you're replying to. Whether this is ICANN's real
intention or not remains to be seen, but that's what is being assumed for
now.

I don't have high hopes, unlike you; I fail to see how ICANN can totally
ignore their own forum (except to post one vague little thing saying nothing
a long time ago) filled with hundreds of angry people where all it would
take is a simple "No, our new rules will only apply to new .org domains" to
appease the masses. The public is participating, absolutely, but what I see
it particupating in is a rant-fest of angry .org owners, not a valuable
dialog with ICANN that could lead somewhere constructive.

Please tell me how to put my hopes on an elevator or a plane, because
currently they're rather low, and will remain that way until ICANN starts
being a little more forthcoming.

Vivien

NOTE: I am speaking on my own behalf, not on behalf of the organization
mentioned in my signature, for which I am a volunteer, even though
dyndns.org is a .org, obviously, and non-profit.
--
Vivien M.
[email protected]