Snowstorm effects on Network Utilization?

  • From: Kavi, Prabhu
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 16:23:23 2001

A major snowstorm hit the Northeastern US yesterday and today,
causing many businesses to close, particularly in the Boston
area.  I was just wondering about what effect this has on
network utilization on backbone links in the northeast.

*  Does it decrease because fewer people have access to high-speed
   internet access?
*  Does it increase because many people get on the Internet at home?

I would expect that many more people would telecommute during these
events, causing high utilization on RAS systems.  But would that
translate into higher backbone link utilization, since most of the
traffic would be local?

Prabhu
Prabhu Kavi                     Phone:  1-978-264-4900 x125
Director, Adv. Prod. Planning   Fax:    1-978-264-0671
Tenor Networks                  Email:  [email protected]
100 Nagog Park                  WWW:    www.tenornetworks.com
Acton, MA 01720