Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

  • From: Alex Kamantauskas
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 14:01:46 2001

> 2. Are there differences between how New.net domain names and
> .COM/.NET/.ORG domain names work?  There are some differences, but in many
> ways the domain names work the same.

 Nope.  You query a resolver, and it returns the best answer that it
 knows.  Resolvers only do what you tell them to do.

> One difference is that in order for people to see New.net domain names
> they must be either accessing the Internet through one of our many ISP
> partners or they must have downloaded and installed our Web browser
> plug-in.

 In order to use the New.net names, you just need to query a resolver that
 knows about them.  The '.com/.net/.org' block has a distinct advantage,
 since most resolvers find out about their servers by default.

--
Alex Kamantauskas
[email protected]