Re: Network Sizing Guidelines?

  • From: Daniel R Glover
  • Date: Tue Mar 06 08:56:33 2001

Marshall,

Thanks. Those are the kind of ballpark numbers I was hoping to get by asking this list. I know it doesn't seem like a range like that would be helpful, but that's the real world. I have also received some help that says depending on what your users do with the network that you can handle 100 users on a 128K ISDN and sometimes a T1 can only support 3 users. That at least helps me bound the problem. And, of course, there are wild cards like P2P that require predicting the future.

I could try to build some fancy models to make fancier estimates, but in the end it still comes down to guessing. I figured nanog would be the best place to ask for a good guess tempered by real world experience. Thanks again for some numbers.

r/
Dan