Re: Network Sizing Guidelines?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Sun Mar 04 00:14:26 2001

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:40:27 PST, Scott Francis said:
> Freenet, Gnutella, Aimster ... napster is merely the poster child for a
> new generation of file sharing clients and protocols. Pandora has
> already opened the box, regardless of Napster's ultimate fate.

I'm not sure which is more surreal, the 11th-hour proposal by
Napster to filter based on filename "because nobody would ever misspell
Metallica", or the interesting twist in Aimster's usage policy, which
would require the record industry to intentionally violate the same
laws they wanted passed in order to get evidence to use as the basis
of a lawsuit....

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers what
the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly dissapear
and be replaced by something even more bizzare and inexplicable.

There is another that says this has already happened". -- Douglas Adams

"May you live in interesting times" -- ancient Chinese curse

Hang on everybody, we're in for a ride....

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech