Network Sizing Guidelines?

  • From: Daniel R Glover
  • Date: Fri Mar 02 17:16:14 2001

Can you point me to some current network sizing advice for Internet service (WAN and LAN)? I am looking for rules-of-thumb, guidelines, equations, books, or even anecdotal evidence that would help me in evaluating future network design concepts. I have somewhat unconventional network constraints, but I would like to start from current conventional assumptions on, say, numbers of users (home or office) that can be supported by various bandwidths.

I've tried the related links off the NANOG pages, but some are old or broken. I have found some advice like "a T1 will support 200 to 300 28K modem users," but I hope there may be more current advice somewhere especially with regard to QoS, future trends, and to larger networks. Any relevant pointers or advice would be welcome.

R/
Dan Glover