Re: Covad SUCKS!

  • From: Josh Richards
  • Date: Thu Mar 01 03:30:18 2001

* Roeland Meyer <[email protected]> [20010228 13:48]:
[..]
> MHSC has been down since 7Feb01 and Covad is the culprit. MHSC pays its
> bills, but Covad had a problem with my upstream. On Wednesday, 7Feb01, Covad
> cut off all links and feeds to my upstream. I've been down ever since.
[..]
> I urge everyone, do not;
> 1) Recommend Covad as a DSL provider
> 2) Become a Covad partner.
> 3) Remain on Covad service, find someone else (Rythyms sound good)
>
> Further, if you have any Covad stock ... sell it.

I understand your frustration but I fail to see why you are disgusted with
Covad.  What about your "upstream"?   Your DSL reseller/bundler is the one
at fault, not Covad.  You weren't warned by Covad because you are not a
Covad customer.  Warning was _your_ providers job.

> The simple reason is that Covad has shown themselves unworthy of trust. They
> will cut off service arbitrarily, without direct cause, without compansation
> or recourse, and without warning. This is NOT the sort of behavior desired
> from an outfit in charge of your key infrastructure.

They cut off your upstream for not paying their bill.  It sucks that your
company is stuck in the middle, but blame your vendor.  Ask them why Covad
cut them off.

I realize you're frustrated but don't direct blame at the wrong company.
Covad is just trying to get their own customers to pay their bills.  A lot
of the resellers are getting hit because their customers (ISPs) are not
paying them.  Eventually it works its way up the chain.  Sadly, since the
resellers are just bundling up a bunch of ISPs under one account, if
something goes wrong, all of their ISP customers can be affected.

I'm truly glad my previous employer (a regional ISP) didn't go with
DSLNetworks.  We were *really* close about 18 months ago but decided to
go it on our own at the last minute.  If that had not turned out to be the
case, they'd be in it deep right now and probably equally frustrated.

-jr

----
Josh Richards [JTR38/JR539-ARIN]
<[email protected]/cubicle.net/fix.net/freedom.gen.ca.us>
Geek Research LLC - <URL:http://www.geekresearch.com/>
IP Network Engineering and Consulting