Re: Seattle Earthquake

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Feb 28 14:41:22 2001

On Wed, 28 February 2001, Kevin Day wrote:
> According to ABC News, there was just a 6.2 magnitude earthquake, with the
> epicenter about 35 miles away from Seattle. It appears that Sprint is having
> some connectivity issues in the Seattle area, several Seattle routers in
> sprint's network are unreachable at the moment.

The Tsunami Warning Center reports the quake occured at 10:44 PST, with
an estimated magintude of 6.2.

Some web sites are down, such as www.seattletimes.com, but it appears to
be a localized issue.  Seattle Public Library, King County Library,
Amazon.COM and Microsoft.COM all appear to be functioning.

I couldn't find any traceroutes through Sprint's network in the northwest,
but I don't know of any sites with only Sprint connectivity, so I don't
know about Sprint.

ATT, Cable & Wireless, and PSI appear normal.

I could reach parts of Qwest/USWEST, but I don't know their physical
network topography, so I couldn't tell if I was reaching Seattle or
somewhere else.