Re: Warning: Cisco RW community backdoor.

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Tue Feb 27 00:46:20 2001

not on a 3640 running 12.0(1)T. (C3640-IS56I-M) Does return info though via a SNMP walk.  No ATM interfaces either.

doing the below on a 3662 running 12.1(3a)T1 (C3660-IS-M) with an ATM interface (4 port T1 IMA) shows another one "cable-docsis"

cable-docsis faithfully pukes up all kinds of info try walking ".1.3.6.1"  "ILMI" pukes.

Going to be a long night ....

Eric

At 08:42 PM 2/26/01 -0800, David Schwartz wrote:

>> While I agree that "public" and "private" are "wellknowns," in most
>> implementations, they at least show up in the code.  Cisco chose to hide
>> this one where it would not show up in the code.  That IMHO is a very bad
>> thing and does bad things to my confidence level in Cisco.
>
>    Do a "show snmp group" from an enabled console prompt. It does show.
>
>    DS

  Eric Germann                                        Inacom Info Systems
  [email protected]                             Lima, OH 45801
                                                      Ph:  419 331 9050
  ICQ:  41927048                                      Fax: 603 825 5893

"It is so easy to miss pretty trivial solutions to problems deemed
complicated.  The goal of a scientist is to find an interesting problem,
and live off it for a while.  The goal of an engineer is to evade
interesting problems :)"  -- Vadim Antonov <[email protected]> on NANOG