Re: rfc 1918?

  • From: Scott Francis
  • Date: Fri Feb 23 14:25:32 2001

"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> Either people have to really use RFC-1918 private address space properly
> and ensure it never ever leaks (and maybe even some core locations have
> to start filtering it where they can just to provide the helpful service
> of helping correct other people's mistakes), or we have to give up on
> using common private address space completely.  When providers treat

I can already hear the counterpoint on this one: "Transit providers are
to provide transit only. It is not up to backbone operators to filter
traffic in order to correct their customers'/peers' mistakes." Remember
that long thread from a few months back? I completely agree with you on
the point that 1918 addresses should never be seen outside of the
internal networks they are used on; however, if we start having transit
providers filter to correct their downstreams' lack of such, then those
providers end up acting as either Mommy (to clean up after us) or Big
Brother (to keep an eye on us), and I'm pretty sure the last thing
anybody wants is anything resembling high-level "policing" of the Net.
The best, and possibly the only workable, solution to this problem is
for people to stop being lazy and start being responsible.
<pause for laughter at the previous comment>

--
Scott Francis           [email protected]   [work:] v i r t u a l i s . c o m
                    [email protected]   [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t