AT&T ATM Outage This Week

  • From: Spencer.Wood
  • Date: Fri Feb 23 13:07:03 2001

The following is from our ISP describing the AT&T ATM Outage:

ATM Network -
AT&T had an ATM network-wide outage on Tuesday affecting some of our DS1
and DS3 ATM connections.  The outage began at Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.
affecting 17 switches.  Switches were restored by 4:30 p.m. but outages
continued into the evening due to switch restarts.  AT&T attributed the
outage to a cable cut resulting in excessive number of control messages
from one of AT&T's network switches.  The switches were unable handle the
message volume and failed.  AT&T turned down some of the links between
switches to isolate the problem.  Problems continued in Columbus on
Wednesday due to an unknown issue with the Lucent switch.  PVCs were up but
are operating slowly.  Another failure in Columbus on Friday morning
affecting four of our DS3's was isolated to a link between Columbus and
Cleveland.  Service was restored by late morning.  We are expecting a
written summary of these issues from AT&T.

Spencer Wood, Network Administrator
Ohio Department Of Transportation
1320 Arthur E. Adams Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43221