Re: rfc 1918?

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Fri Feb 23 02:59:28 2001

[ On Thursday, February 22, 2001 at 16:12:16 (-0500), John Hawkinson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: rfc 1918?
>
> Not everyone agrees whether it is better to filter or not to filter,
> but there are good arguments on both sides.

Man oh man, but do you ever sound like a broken record.

There are still, even including this most recent thread, no technical
arguments, good or otherwise, on the side of not filtering RFC-1918
addresses, yet there's a mountain of widely accepted and generally
authoriative documentation, not to mention good common sense, that
strongly advises to do the filtering everywhere possible.  All we've
seen so far are poor excuses for perpetuating other people's poor
configurations.

Can you please try to find at least one even minor technical argument
for not filtering RFC-1918 addresses before you try again to give this
idea any more credit?

(I might sound like I'm repeating myself too, but I don't think my
record is broken....  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>