RE: rfc 1918?

  • From: Mark Radabaugh
  • Date: Thu Feb 22 19:33:26 2001

It is my intention to avoid having 1918 addresses leaving my network.

At our egress points the filters are fairly short -- they allow only traffic
with our IP source addresses to leave.  This was my interpretation of the RFC's.
Some in this discussion seem to be saying that we should also filter for RFC1918
destinations.  Am I reading this correctly?

 I can see that packets destined for RFC1918 addresses will leave our network
(due to default routes) but are promptly dropped at the first BGP speaking
router they encounter.  Is it worth the extra router processing time to check
all outgoing packet destinations as well?  I can't see where this extra
filtering is worth the trouble.

Mark Radabaugh
VP, Amplex
(419)833-3635