Re: rfc 1918?

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Thu Feb 22 19:01:32 2001

[ On Thursday, February 22, 2001 at 17:58:33 (-0500), Richard A. Steenbergen wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: rfc 1918?
>
> The psycho paranoid people like Greg Woods and Eric Hall scream that any
> RFC1918 sourced packet on the internet is a sign of the apocalypse, and
> you must apply packet filters to stop them from going out and coming in.

This is not an issue of paranoia (except for those who actually use
PRIVATE addresses internally and have properly configured their gateways
to be paranoid about even seeing such packets, let alone routing them).

This is an issue of co-operation and inter-networking -- i.e. what the
Intenet is all about!

If we are to have PRIVATE address space allocation (i.e. RFC-1918), then
we must never allow PRIVATE addresses to appear in packets that traverse
PUBLIC internetworks (i.e. the big-I Internet).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>