Re: rfc 1918?

  • From: John Hawkinson
  • Date: Thu Feb 22 16:15:40 2001

> > Does anyone know why I get inbound packets from 10.x.x.x coming from my ISP,
> > UUNet?  They're just headed for a webserver, so it's not likely that they're
> > up to no good.
> > This seems to violate rfc 1918.  Am I crazy?
>
> You're not crazy, and UUNet should be filtering them.

This is, again, not a foregone conclusion.

There are good reasons to want to get those packets (traceroutes from
people who have numbered their networks in rfc1918 networks, f'rinstance).

Not everyone agrees whether it is better to filter or not to filter,
but there are good arguments on both sides.

--jhawk