Re: Beer and Gear surprise

  • From: abha
  • Date: Thu Feb 22 11:38:03 2001

<rant>

*sigh* i apologize in advance for this message as i really didn't want to
get involved in this thread... i think it is a silly one.  how pathetic
are we if the only thing we can discuss is whether or not we get free
t-shirts?  don't we all have networks to run?  :)  anyway...

if folks have feedback about what they did and did not like about NANOG,
the survey form is the appropriate place to voice your opinion.  and then,
the folks who organize this wonderful conference, can take your opinion
into consideration in order to improve the next one...

as to the whole beer and gear situation, it wasn't always a part of NANOG,
but the organizing folks thought it would be a nice benefit and started
letting vendors, etc. sponsor free beer and food for the attendees who
could wander and chat with each other and maybe check out some cool
equipment.  the whole point was to increase the interaction between the
attendees and offer a social function.  the beer and the gear just
happened to be a happy side benefit.  NANOG has never tried to fill the
same sort of niches as tradeshows, etc.

In regards to Merit, how NANOG is run and organized, etc... Merit has been
running NANOG forever as part of a service to the community and has always
tried to keep the community's best interest at heart (if you don't think
this is happening, put it on your survey form) and there is no membership.
It is really quite simple, if you don't like it, you don't have to come.
There are other member-based organizations that might meet your needs.

-abha ;)

</rant>