Re: Beer and Gear surprise

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Thu Feb 22 02:37:56 2001

> I have found this on the web site:
>
> "In striving to achieve these goals, all tutorials and presentations,
> including BOF presentations, are reviewed in advance and are limited to
> those entirely of a general technical nature, explicitly prohibiting
> material that relates to any specific product or service offerings. For
> similar reasons, equipment exhibits are limited to the "Beer 'n Gear"
> sessions, and vendor giveaways are not permitted at any time during the
> meeting."
>
> I'm not sure if there was a vote of the membership, or what, but I had
> certainly missed it.
>
> Does anyone have more information on this?

I agree with your general point that the vendor giveaways should be restored
to the beer 'n gear.  I did not notice any sort of vote.  I think it was
decided by the folks at Merit.  Someone said it was the result of one
person at Merit reacting to a particular Cisco giveaway (underpants?)
at one of the last two NANOGs which I missed.

Anyway, Merit, if your listening, bring back the vendor chachkies (sp?)
at the Beer & Gear.  It's supposed to be the exception to the Purley
Academic nature of NANOG, and I really don't see drawing a line where
booze and food are OK and flashlights, pens, t-shirts, underwear, etc.
are bad, just because food doesn't stay with you (unless it's bad or
you eat too much).

Owen