Re: (OT) Re: Beer and Gear and Merit

  • From: Jeff Ogden
  • Date: Wed Feb 21 16:07:34 2001

At 12:03 PM -0500 2/21/01, Douglas A. Dever wrote:
Merit is ultimately rooted in university and government.  The ultimate
bastion of political correctness.

I've always wondered if the academia folks who helped destroy CICnet
with their lack of business sense ever thought about screwing up Merit.  I
know some folks who'd be willing to buy MichNet on the same terms that
they stole CICnet out of the gutter.
Merit is governed by a bunch of Michigan universities. But to be honest NANOG doesn't come up for discussion at Merit Board meetings too often. And as far as I know Beer and Gear has never been discussed by the Merit Board. Merit isn't directly tied to or controlled by any governments unless you count the public universities as government or you think that governments control us all at some level.

Sorry, but MichNet isn't for sale. I don't know if that is a sign that Merit is or isn't screwed up, but whatever it is it isn't anything new. We've either been screwed up, or not, or something in between for many years now (34 and counting in fact).

-Jeff