RE: NetSol Bulk Whois

  • From: Richard Welty
  • Date: Mon Feb 19 10:32:17 2001

Nicholas Bastin <[email protected]>
> Anyone noticed this lately when they do a dump in whois?

> (47) bulk_whois_optout: N|

> Anybody know when this became an option?  (And can we charge
> NetSol for
> the amount of mail we receive between when we submit the change order
> and when it actually gets done?)

i'm not sure when it actually started, but it was recently discussed
on another mailing list.

From:
PRIVACY Forum Digest     Wednesday, 14 February
2001     Volume 10 : Issue 03

(http://www.vortex.com/privacy/priv.10.03)

Excerpt:

If you don't want to participate in NSI's bulk/marketing
bonanza, you'll need to avail yourself (*now* that you'll
know about them) of their opt-outs. Buried within their
privacy policy it says that you can send notes with the
text:

remove bulk access

or:

remove domain

respectively, in the subject lines of e-mail to:

[email protected]

with a list in the body of the message detailing the
domains (for which you are the registrant) that you wish
to opt-out.

It is not detailed how such requests are authenticated,
nor is any particular format for the lists specified.  If a
human is reading those requests, they're likely to be
getting pretty busy very soon!