RED deployment testing

  • From: John Kristoff
  • Date: Sat Feb 17 14:24:10 2001

Sally,

I've starting monitoring packet drops on a couple of my routers.  In
particular, our Internet router, which currently has 18 Mb/s on the
WAN side and 100 Mb/s side, I'm going to put RED on (the WAN side) for
outbound traffic.

I'm hoping RED can help keep the output queues lower and more stable
than they are now in order to improve overall latency/jitter between
us and our ISP.

I was going to use the parameter suggestions you have outlined in
REDparameters.txt.  I'm currently using a Cisco 7206 running IOS
version 12.0(11.6)S on our border router.  I was planning on
setting the parameters the same for all classes of traffic.

Our Internet WAN link is currently being monitored here:

http://netmon.depaul.edu/mrtg/uunet/rtrinternet.depaul.edu.6.html

and I recently set the following page to watch packet drops:

http://netmon.depaul.edu/mrtg/aqm/rtrinternet.depaul.edu.1.html

Note, this machine's clock is one hour ahead.  I need to talk to
the sysadmin for this system to get that fixed one of these days.

Do you have any thoughts on my RED testing?  Do you want to be
updated on the progress over the next few weeks?

FYI... we'll be moving our Internet connection to the Chicago NAP soon
and at that point I'll be able to test RED on a much higher speed
link (OC3c).

John