RE: happy bday IGS-R

  • From: Paul Lantinga
  • Date: Thu Feb 15 23:55:24 2001

Title: RE: happy bday IGS-R

Good thing all this is getting archived - it's cool to know some of what was happening out in the trenches back then.

My IGS had a sticker on it that said, "Property of Stanford University".  It was the router that UUNET placed at the now non-existent eit.com (Enterprise Integration Technologies) and came bundled with a massive rackmounted Cylink csu/dsu.  The folks at Cylink thought that I was on crack when I called about a manual for it - the woman on the phone didn't even realize that Cylink had ever made them.   Even better was when we changed providers to geo.net and tried to get UUNET to come pick up the router and csu/dsu.  They were decidedly not excited about having it back in their inventory and refused to come and take it back.

Anyway, it's hard to say who won the most points... most people got the GI reference and nearly everyone who responded privately had worked on rev's much older than what I have - ack! even version 6.x!  Thanks to all for the thread.

-Paul LANtinga
Q9 Networks.