Re: Using unallocated address space

  • From: Alan Hannan
  • Date: Thu Feb 15 14:11:55 2001

> The registries, ARIN/RIPE/APNIC should announce the offending block
> themselves and shunt it to null0.  If the offender announces a /18 then
> they should announce theirs as 2x/19s and thereby override the bogus /18.

  While a novel idea, I believe it is particularly dangerous to
  have an allocation registry strictly control operational use.

  A separation of power between the allocation and the dynamic-real-time
  use of address space is beneficial for many reasons.

  Historically, this separation of power has been maintained.  For
  example, Sprint/smd's draconian filtering and aggregation policies
  were synergistic with address allocation policies, however, allocation
  rules were based upon different enforcement methods.

  Allocation registries allocate 'temporary ownership' of address
  space, without any respect for routability of address space.

  Allow the ISPs to police themselves, perhaps with assistance from
  ARIN/RIPE/APNIC.  If they choose not to police themselves, that
  is their prerogative.

  I would support an available list of routes or BGP feed of allocated
  v. unallocated space, which ISPs could subscribe to so as to
  self-police proper address usage.  In fact, it's unclear to me how
  ARIN could affect the routing of others, without dictating that ISPs
  respect their announcements.  And I certainly would not want that.

  All in all, this proposal is flawed for many reasons.

  The goal of keeping the internet from splintering and properly
  using allocated space is a good one.

  This proposal is not the right way to help achieve that goal.

  -alan

Thus spake Hank Nussbacher ([email protected])
 on or about Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 07:31:52PM +0200: